Workers compensation

Phil Shell has been successfully representing sick and injured workers for over 35 years, He is an expert at developing creative solutions that get you the compensation you deserve. contact him: 801-988-5855 or

Workplace Injury Attorney in Salt Lake City, Draper, and Murray

Processing Worker’s Compensation Claims: Ask a Work Accident Lawyer in Utah

Whether you have a job at a recreation park in Murray or a high-rise office in Salt Lake City, you still spend eight hours a day at work. And because nobody is immune to work-related injuries and illnesses, Utah’s worker’s compensation laws require insurance from employers. The insurance provides medical and disability benefits regardless of who or what is at fault for the injury or illness.

It isn’t always easy to get worker’s compensation, though. The insurance company might deny your claim or you may become embroiled in a lengthy dispute with them. In these cases, you can try resolving the issue with them directly. Another option is working with a law firm that is well-versed in worker’s compensation hearings and procedures.

Consult with worker’s compensation attorney Phil Shell to figure out the best approach for your situation. He understands your dilemma and will help you get the compensation you deserve.

Phil is an experienced workplace injury attorney in Salt Lake City helping workers and families get the compensation and occupational disease benefits they deserve. Initial consultations are always free of charge, and attorney’s fees are normally contingent, which means there is no fee until we win your case. Please feel free to call and learn your rights.

Workers compensation provides benefits to employees who suffer a workplace injury or contract an occupational disease. Workers are generally entitled to compensation for their medical treatment and a portion of lost wages. Benefits are also available for permanent impairment. Total disability benefits can be obtained if your work injury results in permanent loss of ability to work. Workers compensation also provides benefits to the dependents of a worker who dies as the result of a job-related injury.

With some exceptions, you receive workers compensation benefits in exchange for your right to sue your employer for the injury. In other words, personal injury attorneys cannot file suit on your behalf if you have a worker’s compensation claim, but they can pursue a third party action against another party not connected with your employer. 

Call Phil at 801-988-5855 or email to discuss your case.

Learn More about Worker’s Compensation

People work to live the way they want to. But incurring a work-related injury or illness can cause major disruptions to your lifestyle. It can damage your career, put a significant dent in your finances and affect your overall well-being. For this reason, we are dedicated to upholding worker’s compensation laws and benefits in Utah.

Attorney Phil Shell is well-versed in worker’s comp laws in Salt Lake City. Trust him to build your case and demand the compensation you deserve. When you successfully file a claim, you may get:

  • Reimbursement for lost income during the period of medical recovery (temporary total disability) – usually 2/3 of your pay at the time of the accident. All benefits are tax free.
  • Permanent Partial Disability (PPD) benefits for permanent limitations and restrictions. This is based on an impairment rating given by your doctor with benefits paid for a specific number of weeks based upon your wages.
  • Payment for all related medical expenses, including prescriptions and durable equipment. Medical benefits can continue for a lifetime to the extent that your need for care is still related to the industrial accident. There are certain time limitations. Speak to an attorney for specific advice concerning your case.
  • Permanent Total Disability Lifetime compensation if you become unable to work because of your injury. This can be received in connection with Social Security Disability benefits. We can help coordinate the receipt of both and seek to maximize your recovery.
  • Reimbursement for transportation or travel expenses.
  • Death benefits for the spouse and dependents of a worker who dies because of an injury or work-related illness or exposure.

Call him for any concerns you have regarding worker’s compensation benefits in Utah. Your initial consultation is free, but the information and support he gives you is priceless.

Utah employers who have at least one full-time, part-time, temporary or seasonal employee are required by law to obtain worker’s compensation insurance. As such, qualified employees are entitled to medical and disability benefits, regardless of who is at fault. Do you qualify for worker’s comp benefits in Utah?

Qualifications for Eligibility

You are entitled to worker’s compensation benefits, including medical care, permanent disability benefits, and lost wages when you have a work-related injury or illness. Your eligibility to report an injury and file a claim depends on these basic requirements:

  • You are employed in a business or company.
  • Your employer has worker’s compensation insurance.
  • Your injury or illness occurred at your place of work or is related to your work.
  • You are within the state deadlines for reporting an injury and filing a claim. These deadlines are:
    • 180 days to notify your employer of the injury or illness
    • One year to file a worker’s comp claim for medical or death benefits
    • Six years to file an application for a hearing regarding disability benefits

These qualifications make way for fair compensation for on-the-job injuries and work-related chronic conditions. The most common types of workplace injuries that could result in a worker’s compensation claim include: 

  • Injuries to your lower back and spine due to heavy lifting and repetitive bending
  • Carpal tunnel syndrome due to constant gripping or typing
  • Injuries from machinery and equipment accidents
  • Injuries from work-sanctioned vehicle accidents
  • Slip-and-fall incidents

Work accident lawyer Phil Shell in Salt Lake City is the experts you can turn to for consultation regarding the matter.

Qualifications for Third-Party Injury Claims

You can also talk to Phil for third-party injury claims. He helps you file a lawsuit against third parties who are liable for your workplace injuries. Moreover, he will fight for the compensation you deserve.

If it was caused or aggravated by your employment, Phil can help you get the worker’s compensation or occupational disease benefits you are entitled to. Even if you have pre-existing conditions, and in many cases if work was responsible for making it worse, you may be entitled to worker’s compensation benefits. Call and discuss your rights and options: 801-988-5855.

Common types of workplace injuries

Most on-the-job injuries relate to specific accidents, but injuries also can include chronic conditions developed over time. The most common workplace injuries include:

  • Injuries to the lower back and lumbar spine from lifting, bending, and twisting
  • Carpal tunnel syndrome from repetitive activities such as gripping or typing
  • Injuries from vehicle accidents
  • Injuries from machinery and equipment accidents
  • Injuries related to falls from high places and seemingly minor slips.

Our clients include workers with all types of injuries and illnesses, including:

  • Asbestosis
  • Back and spine injuries
  • Cancer
  • Carpal tunnel syndrome, ulnar nerve damage and other repetitive stress or trauma injuries
  • Chemical exposure
  • Construction injuries, including electrocution, burns, and welding torch injuries
  • Deafness or hearing loss
  • Dermatitis
  • Interstitial lung disease or pulmonary fibrosis
  • Knee injuries
  • Mesothelioma
  • Mining injuries
  • Silicosis
  • Occupational asthma
  • Occupational lung disease, such as black lung disease
  • Pneumoconiosis
  • Psychological problems
  • Various types of cumulative trauma injuries
  • Almost anything that is medically and legally related to the job or an exposure at work

If it was caused or aggravated by your employment, Phil can help you get the workers compensation or occupational disease benefits you are entitled to. Even if you have pre-existing conditions, and in many cases if work was responsible for making it worse, you may be entitled to workers compensation benefits. Call and discuss your rights and options: 801-988-5855.

When injured on the job, you must act quickly to preserve your right to compensation.

  1. If the injury is an emergency, seek treatment at the nearest medical facility. 
  2. Notify your employer as soon as possible. If you do not notify your employer of the work related injury within 180 days of the accident, you will lose your right to compensation and medical benefits. If you have an occupational disease claim, you must notify all applicable employers within 180 days of when you first suffered disability and either knew or should have known that the condition was work related. If your employer does not know of your injury and that it is work related within 180 days of the accident, your claim will be barred. 
  3. If your injury is not an emergency, find out which medical provider takes your company’s workers compensation insurance, and seek medical treatment only from authorized providers. Be sure to clearly explain to your doctor how you were hurt so that the medical records contain correct information about your injury. For example, if you injured your back and a knee but you are only treated for the back injury, and the knee complaints are not recorded, the knee injury may come into question later and might be disputed.

Occupational illnesses sometimes arise while you are still working for the employer but may also arise many years later, such as in the case of asbestos exposure. It is important to provide notice to your employer, preferably in writing, once you know you have a work-related illness. Failure to report it within 180 days of when you first suffer disability and know or should know that the problem is work related will result in your claim being barred.

If you are denied compensation or adequate medical treatment after an on-the-job injury, if you are not sure about your rights or the time limits for your case, or if you have any other questions or concerns, give us a call. Although medical benefits can be payable for a lifetime, there are various time limits involved in the workers compensation system. Call Phil to learn more about time limitations and other details of compensation law that can make or break your case. He will be happy to discuss your case with you right on the phone and can arrange for an in-office appointment if there is something he can do to help. The call is free, and the information is priceless.

Phil also files lawsuits against third parties who may be liable for workplace injuries. For example, if a truck driver is injured in a motor vehicle accident, Phil works with Michael Day, the chief litigator at our firm who can also represent you in a personal injury claim against the other driver and the insurance company, obtaining compensation beyond what is allowed by Utah’s Workers Compensation law. Phil refuses to let insurance companies win for no reason and will fight for the compensation and help his clients need and deserve.

When you get injured on the job, our workers comp lawyers in Salt Lake City encourage you to act quickly and demand your right to compensation. After seeking treatment at the nearest medical facility, notify your employer about the incident. You have 180 days to do so. Otherwise, you lose the right to compensation.

The deadline is the same when you are seeking workers comp benefits in Murray for an occupational disease claim. You must notify your employer within 180 days of the first time you suffered from the condition and knew or should have known that it was work-related.

Pay Attention to Your Medical Records

If your injury does not require emergency treatment, seek medical treatment from authorized providers of your company’s worker’s compensation insurance. Clearly explain to your doctor how and where you were hurt, because this will appear in your medical records. The accuracy may be questioned if you seek compensation for a specific type of injury that is not visible on the record.

Call Phil if you are denied adequate medical treatment or compensation after a work-related injury. You may also contact us to ask about your rights and time limitations. We are happy to arrange an in-office appointment to get started with your case.

Copyright Day Shell & Liljenquist, L.C. 2019